Sunday, May 3, 2009

Centennial Park, Banksy & Hope Church





During my daily bike ride yesterday, I also checked out Centennial Park. It has a pretty sweet skate park, tennis courts, biking trails, and playground.







I went up on this hill right here and met a few young lads sitting on top of a large man-made hill just enjoying the scenery. I could tell they were natives to Springfield, so I started some conversation with them. I asked what they like to do in Springfield? They replied, "This. Just sit here." They were very friendly, but that was not exactly the response I was looking for. They continued, "Sometimes we sit at another park near the Wabash trail too." Ok...not too much to do in this town huh?
























The skate park was interesting, but no one was that great. Not saying I could do much better, but I was hoping for more. After a while I got bored watching these 8 year olds and hearing their Grandma calling them over to the car, so I got my 21 speed huffy down in ramps and showed these kids who's boss!














Some of this "art work" in the skate park reminded me of the legendary pseudo-anonymous artist who calls himself Banksy.
He is a graffiti artist who paints huge stencil-like artwork on buildings and no one really knows who he is.


http://www.banksy.co.uk/





Finally, the church I was planning on checking out first was right across the street from the park. I went to the Saturday night service and really enjoyed it. I met the pastor and a couple who runs the 'young adult' groups. They invited me to dinner at a restaurant and over to their house later that night. I met a ton of people my age already and plan on going to the Lincoln Museum with them today (Sunday). They get together every other Weds, every Fri and there is another group that is studying these incredible films called NOOMA! They are produced in some town called Grand Rapids by a guy named Rob Bell. Hmmm....I may have to join that group.

No comments:

Post a Comment